October 14, 2018

Panda Run! I mean, Panda Rolls


 So yesterday I had my first fun run; after days being "badgered" by a colleague to do so (and she succeeded in pulling not only me, but another friend as well) I repeatedly said to them I can't run (which was true) and we would only walk. And since we're all on the same page, that was really the agreement.

Until I kinda.... walked slightly faster than them (>.<)
To be honest, I kinda surprised myself- at the little stamina that I had to sustain short run and fast-pace walk, and at how much I enjoyed it. Maybe those hours at the gym helped. Maybe my sister's advice on "try to go as fast as you can without compromising your breathing pattern". Maybe putting on upbeat songs while walking/jogging/running helped.

//Us, before starting

//And we finished!

//See how cute the finisher medal is!


So after run, we makan la kan? XD




Anyway, now entering 2nd year, we have a bit more time over the weekends if not doing on-calls. Supposedly that time is filled with studying, yeah I know... but one thing lead to another, we have yet to restart the engine of the study group. Past 2 semesters, we used the time after work to sit down and discuss questions, but now even after office hours we're still seeing referrals so there need for a dedicated time over the weekends for group discussion.

But 3rd sem is approaching the end fast and we're still yet to start the engine... Being into rotations with minimal people is also not helping. Ilham and I were having hard time adjusting to it; it's slightly better now but we're still agitated receiving referrals.

And I've added an extra activity into my already busy schedule- trying to keep up with 150 mins per week of physical activities. I guess there was a reason why I got into Endocrine as my first rotation this sem- giving advises like "cut down your sugar" and "you have to exercise at least 150 minutes per week, activities that make your heart rate goes up and you to sweat" are only believable when you're doing it yourself. At least now I can look into my patients' eyes and say these mantra without feeling guilt.

Working out for me also means venting out all those frustration and pent-up anger etc. You kinda literally feels lighter and satisfied after a good session, thanks to the endorpins and dopamine released. I think I have a better sleep and better energy at work too.

And those days I go to the gym, those are my happy-pill days because I got to spend time with my cousins! 

//Ok, this was when we went out for dinner, but these 2 girls are part of my support system for a long time :)

Now that I steadily scheduled exercise into my routine, the question is, how to fit in studying into the equation? Questioning myself this means that I'm entering a panic mode. Exam is only 3 semester down the road. (>,<)

No comments:

Post a Comment