September 12, 2005

A bit of PBL and The Lost Syifaa'

Niatnya nak menulis panjang lebar pasal PBL (Problem Based Learning). But the workload at the moment is too much that I don't have spare time to write about PBL in detail.

But just briefly, PBL is the new curicular in Medicine course. I'm pretty sure that most university now use this system. The purpose is to expose medical student to real life medical situation, to integrate theory they learned in class and lectures AND what's happenning in real world- that is the mental and social impact of medicine, onto medical practitioners and also on the patients and society as a whole.

In UWA, one of the objectives of PBL (which is combined with Clinical Skill Session and Fixed Resource Session under the unit of Foundations of Clinical Practice) is to 'develop personal and professional development'.

Some argue that because too much time spent to train the tutors and too much time the student spent on this unit, other important sylabus such as Anatomy and Physiology are being neglected. PBL is mainly self directed study, where student research informations, guided by tutors.
Although some argue that graduates under this new system are more independant and have developed ability for critical thinking and self-improving, some presented contradictory evidence that there are no difference in profesionalism between the two systems (conventional and new). In fact, they lack of basic anatomy skills and such.

Personally? I don't know. I haven't been in the old system to judge this new system of PBL. Sometimes I do feel I enjoy PBL. Sometimes, I also feel it's a nuisance, with every two weeks of presenting, or now a debate for every fortnight... In a way, it does help you with your research skills, presenting skill and communication skills. Also, it allows you to look deeper into ethical issues and social factors of medicine. Some guest lecturers were glad that medicine now incorporated this sylabus, because student needs to know arising issues, not just what's in the text book.
But most of the med students I know don't like PBL... Some even hate it to the core (?) Okay, maybe I am exaggerating here but yeah, I remember one guest lecturer actually said that PBL is not doing what it's supposed to do- you are supposed to LOOK, UNDERSTAND and FEEL about the patient- not just simply discussing about general factors and stuff.

Simply because each patient is different.

So, when I was reading an article in the paper (online) not too long ago about how the graduates (back home) don't have this charisma or personality as a university graduate, I simply stared at the screen and later on opened up discussion with some friends about this matter. Does this kind of sylabus (PBL) needed to be incorporated into every faculty to develop professionalism into every graduates?
Or it is left to the student themselves to decide if they want to build their own character through their involvement in the extra-curricular activities that the university has offered?

I'm still battling with my inferiority complex, despite what PBL forced me to do. Sometimes I blamed the education system back home (primary and secondary school) that doesn't encaurage the students to speak their own mind. I think school should build these kind of characters, not just leave it to the parents to shape these kind of characters into their children.
But then again, as one grow up, one can think about what's good and what's not.
However, when for the past 17 years (ok, maybe less) you are thought to accept and not to question, it's hard to break the shell.

3 years with PBL now... Wonder if I can break out of my 'nut shell' once I graduate.

-----------------------------------------------------

Poor Maria got sick (suspected stomach flu, yeah?) when she reached Perth. Slept at my place on the first night, yet we didn't stay up like I wanted to because she was feeling nauseatic and had this splitting headache for the whole day. We did catch up though... I've missed her.

On Friday, after I got back from school, we went to the city. She treated me lunch/dinner. I had the temptation to shop for shoes and sling bag. Then I looked at her "Ni sume salah ko la Maria... Aku tak plan pun nak shopping!"
She gave me this big grin, "You've been warned!"
Well, can't help it- I've been deprived of shopping since the semester started. However, I didn't buy those things! Still had my control!
Afterall -I said to my mom- if I wait and buy those things back home, I'll get it for free!!

That night- the original syifaa' met... I missed those times....

P/s- I DO need those items... mine already worn out though still usable

No comments:

Post a Comment