February 27, 2006

And I smile

I took my first blood with syringe this morning! *alhamdulillah*
My resident asked before went in to see the patient whether I've taken blood before
I think after did more than 20 in Freo, I considered myself as yes, I've done it before
But when I saw he was holding a syringe, I added 'only with butterfly and vacutainer though'

'That's alright. Just do the same with this, you'll get a flush back when you get into the vein' He reassured me.
And I got it on the first attempt too

It's a bit different compared when a phlebotomist was around to watch you doing it correctly
It's kinda unnerving too to have to decide whether it's really vein you felt underneath your gloved finger,
and then just push the needle in...
All by yourself
No phlebotomist anymore to confirm: yup, that's a good juicy, bouncy vein

It's time to be independent after much practice
(oh, I DO need more practice with this and other procedural skills)

No comments:

Post a Comment