July 11, 2008

Tempted

The house in KL wouldn't have many tenants unless we're on holidays or my dad has meeting in KL. Hence, once in a while when we check the letterbox, we'd find letters addressed to us- most of the time it's filled with junks.

I was about to throw away those junks when I noticed a while letter- addressed to me, complete with UWA logo on it.

Letter from UWA?

It's not good isn't it?
Reluctantly I tore it open.

My request for another year of leave of absence from MBBS programme there was approved and should I come back for 2009's Fourth Year, I'm to go for an interview with my achievements while I was on leave.

Tempted.

That was my first instinct. Tempted to go back to Perth and settle in where I was most comfortable with 2 years ago- riding trains to Fremantle Hospital, taking the Blue Cat to the city then walked to Royal Perth Hospital, walking around the main campus and dropped by my girlfriends' house, having talks on Charlie campus...
I'm lying if I said I don't miss those.

If I have the money, yeah, why not... after all this was like a vacation ain't it?
To walk into the interview room and tell them what I've done for the past almost one year-
there's so many things...
I'd tell about the SCTL system we're using,
I'd tell about Disaster and Relief Medicine,
About the PPD-military-style-camp in Terendak,
About how we go about our Basic Life Support and First Aid training,
About the visit in Air Disaster Unit and the disaster relief field exercise,
About Young Mercy and its various activities- health carnivals, jogathon, BLS School Tours, fund-raising activities, School Watching Workshops, banjir relief & community work missions...
About other extra co-curricular activities I was involved with- Student Council, Le Tour, Heart to Heart, InterMed, Orientations, Aikido, Kanvas drama production (ok, so I wasn't directly involved in this)
I'd love to tell about the Affective Domain, the mentoring system, the good relationship that we have with our lecturers
I'd smile and let them know that academically I'm doing better that I could've ever imagine, alhamdulillah even better than before...

I'd like to tell them that
And perhaps, this time around when I'm doing ward rounds in RPH, I'd perform better;
when I interview patients in Charlie, I'd understand better;
when I do examination, I'd be more confident...
To be able to greet my team with smile each morning... I'd love that

But reality is,
A dream is a dream
Perhaps Perth is a past for me
Or 10-years-time future, I don't know

But right now I'm here
'Here in my home... I'll tell you what it's all about...'
I'm here and this is my story-
from now on.

She clutched the white paper and looked at it longingly
Though it was tempting... though she was tempted
It wasn't a choice anymore
She was given the decision and she accepted it
Maybe there's no looking back
Only forward, the path left
Unwilling or not, she might just have to let it go

And the paper fell onto the floor...

No comments:

Post a Comment